Dec 23rd 2011
It’s almost done, another year gone! While we are all looking forward to taking a few days off to recharge, we decided to review what has been an amazing year. In this blog, we cover some highlights from 2011 and we provide predictions for what we expect to see in 2012.
What an exciting year it’s been, we’ve watched the tablet market explode in Australia with almost 1.6m iPads sold and no sign of this slowing (JP Morgan recently predicted a 55% growth in shipments in the upcoming year). We’ve seen the iPad truly dominate this market but look forward to seeing Android make some in-roads in 2012.
We saw the launch of iOS5 and the Newsstand in the App Store a sub site that promotes News and Magazine Style apps (re-occuring periodicals with a re-newable subscription.) Our clients are experiencing first hand the ‘Newsstand Effect’ – where magazine featured in the Newsstand are seeing dramatic increases in downloads and awareness. And we farewelled the inspirational Steve Jobs.
The Oomph Year 2011
1) Oomph now has over 50 clients and Oomph powers over 90 titles on the iPad including apps for consumer, business and custom publications to corporate reports and event apps. Visit our Oomph Apps and Publications page for more details.
2) We have continued to innovate the platform and it’s bursting with more than 30 features inbuilt in the platform including slick animations, social media integration (twitter, Facebook and email), 360 degree panoramas, location services and rich page interactivity.
3) We changed our hero brand from Mogeneration to Oomph – Simply Smart Tablet Publishing as testament to our single minded focus in this space.
Highlights from 2011:
- Winner of 2011 Excellence Awards by Publishers Australia – Inaugrual Award for the Best App on Mobile or Tablet Device for Fitness First iPad Magazine published by Active Media Group.
- 3rd Equal Best iPad Magazine in the world – Magazine World Magazine for the Gourmet Traveller iPad magazine published by ACP Magazines. As ranked by McPheter’s iMonitor.
- StreetPress Australia launching 5 titles onto the iPad including Australia’s first iPad only magazine Three Magazine and the Street guides Drum Media, Drum Media Perth, Inpress, TimeOff – these street guides come out weekly using just one dedicated resource. All 5 magazines have been heavily featured in App Store categories.
- Oomph was named one of Australia’s Coolest Companies by Anthill Magazine
B2B Stepping up
Plus it’s great to see the B2B world embrace tablet publishing and taking advantage of rich media. Oomph powers The Financial Standard Newspaper, (Rainmaker Group) The Blue Journal (The Tax Institute) , The Adviser (Sterling Publishing), Australian Broker, (Key Media), Australian Business Solutions (Australian Media Group) and the Superfunds magazine (ASFA) and more.
We have continued to grow our relationship with ACP Magazines who continue to create world class apps. Alongside prestigious titles Australian Women’s Weekly, Myer Emporium and Gourmet Traveller, ACP launched Harper’s BAZAAR Collections and Wheels Showroom. as a Porsche special edition.
In 2011 Oomph partnered with some fantastic businesses in Australia. We’d like to thank them all for their support, organisation and enthusiasm for tablet publishing.
- Oomph was AIMIA’s official Tablet partner
- The Sell Out Tablet Wars events – the only Tablet specific event series in Australia. See the video here or Download the event app here
- The AIMIA Tablet Advertising Guidelines Report and Event released in Dec 2011. Download iPad App Guide
- Publishers Australia
- Key sponsors of Magazine week
- Keynote at the Future of Digital Publishing Event series
- Creative3 – Oomph were sponsors of the Forum held in Brisbane in October 2011; Bringing Enterprise, Investment and Creativity together.
Most importantly, from everyone at Oomph, we’d like to say thank you for making 2011 such an amazing year. Our clients continue to make some of the media best apps in the world and you can be sure that in 2012 we will continue to provide a leading edge platform.
Oomph – Powering your world class apps.
Lisa Walton, Marketing Director. Lisa@OomphHQ.com