We are very proud to congratulate our client Coles and partner Bauer Media for scooping a number of awards last week for the Coles Magazine App. In fact, the app picked up three awards in three days!
- Best App on Tablet or Mobile – Publisher’s Australia Excellence Awards
- Magazine App of the Year – at the Australian Magazine Awards run by the Magazine Publishers of Australia
The Coles Magazine App for iPad combines the great recipes, content and design of the printed magazine but has added features that are built with the Coles customer in mind.
The result is a successful iPad magazine that not only leverages a wide range of native iPad functionality but is also delivering strong commercial results and impressive download numbers.
The Oomph/ Coles/ Bauer partnership is now just over 12 months old and the three companies work very closely together to ensure a premium product is delivered every month.
Keith Ahern CEO said “Coles has been the perfect client for us, they have been incredibly progressive and ambitious with their app program. The native app is built using the Oomph digital publishing platform and accesses many of the iPad features including calendar, notes, social sharing and now the gyroscope. These aren’t gimmicks, these are tools that help the app users be inspired, plan, save and of course shop.”
There is a trend in iPad magazines towards flatter, less interactive magazines. Companies and publishers that are creating rich interactive and engaging experiences on tablets are being rewarded by downloads and awards.
Tablets are the perfect medium for rich content and this presents new and exciting opportunities for branded content programs. The Coles Magazine app is demonstrative of the interchanging roles of brands and publishing.
Some of the customised features include:
- Meal Planners – help plan your special occasions
- Shopping Lists
- Collections – Aallow readers to create mulitple folders of their favourite recipes and articles
- Search – Full indexed magazine search and ability to browse the thousands of recipes on Coles.com.au from the app
- Fully optimised for iOS7, including social and email sharing, parallax designs and a more streamlined UX.
Lisa Walton, Oomph Marketing and Strategy Director.